Well done! Through modern dental technology, you (or a loved one) have regained a smile that’s almost as natural and beautiful as the one nature first provided. Cleaning your dentures every day is one of the most important things you can do to help your smile keep its attractive appearance. If you don’t, plaque can form on dentures, making them less bright. Plus, failure to clean your dentures regularly can result in staining and denture odor, as well.
Here are a few tips:
- Dentures can break, so always fill the sink with water, then clean your dentures over the sink, just in case they slip out of your hands by accident.
- Rinse your dentures thoroughly to remove loose food particles. Use cool or warm water. But never use hot water – it can warp your dentures.
- Apply a denture cleaning paste to a moistened denture brush or a soft-bristled toothbrush. Do not use ordinary toothpaste, bleach, vinegar or soap unless directed to do so by your dental professional.
- Brush all surfaces thoroughly. Avoid using brushes with stiff bristles, as they can damage the denture material.
- Rinse dentures well under the faucet to remove all traces of cleaning paste.
- While you sleep at night, soak your dentures in a cleanser (such as Fixodent®) or one recommended by your dental professional.
- Brush your gums, tongue and palate with a soft-bristled regular toothbrush to remove plaque and stimulate circulation. Then reinsert your dentures.
To give your mouth an extra, fresh clean feeling, rinse with a mouthwash several times a day.
If you’re in the Cape Town area, take advantage of our free Consultation/Assessment. Fill out the inquiry form below and we’ll contact you within 24 hours to arrange an appointment.
To your success!